Latest school news...
Friday 22nd April 2016
A talented musician has been selected to work with the National Youth Orchestra of Great Brita...Read full news story...
Tuesday 19th January 2016
A record number of pupils have received offers to study at Oxford and Cambridge this year. Twelve s...Read full news story...
The Sixth Form at Yarm School provides an experience like no other, blending grammar school traditions with the forward thinking and pioneering spirit of those who founded the school in the late 1970's.
Our academic standards are exceptional: we expect the best from our students and they rise to the challenge; typically 80% of A level grades are at A or B grade. Our curriculum focuses on traditional A levels—the qualifications most in demand by universities and employers.
Our students go on to secure university places at the country's top institutions with about 10% taking up places at Oxford and Cambridge. Medicine and dentistry are very popular courses, with on average 10-15%, of students securing places on these highly competitive courses.
The friendly atmosphere is tangible with a good mix of young men and women from a wide variety of backgrounds. The majority of Fifth Year (Year 11) pupils elect to remain at Yarm for their Sixth Form studies and we always have about a-quarter of the Lower Sixth joining us from other schools after GCSE.
We are proud of our facilities: the Sixth Form Centre is large and attractive with indoor and outdoor space enjoyed by the students throughout the year. Students have access to two common rooms, and a study area as well as a dedicated library. The school’s location is much appreciated, set in an open site under the shade of ancient trees and nestled by a beautiful stretch of the River Tees yet right in the heart of the historic market town of Yarm. The students enjoy the convenience of having Britain’s best High Street right on their doorstep.
Life at Yarm School is busy and exciting; there is hardly an evening without an after school event. Drama, Sport and Music are a very important part of Sixth Form life and we enjoy success in many fields at national and international level. I encourage you to browse through our extra-curricular pages to get a feel for the rich variety on offer.
Our aim is simple: to provide our students with a wide range of opportunities to develop their personal skills and the confidence to move on to university and into the world of work. All of this in a well structured and supportive environment. In short: educating for life.
- Admissions information for Yarm School Sixth Form
- Personal, Social and Health Education in the Sixth Form
- Academic Calendar
- Sixth Form Prospectus
- Academic Curriculum
- A detailed description of all courses available at Yarm Sixth Form
- QI VI Extension Programme
- The General Studies Programme is where all areas of the curriculum meet
- At Yarm School we believe in an all-round education
- Aims to help prepare students for opportunities after leaving Yarm School
- Members of the Sixth Form are encouraged to take on positions of responsibility in the Sixth Form
- Pastoral Provision
- We aim to provide a caring environment in which each pupil is able to realise his/her full potential
- Social Life
- At Yarm School we aim to provide a good balance of academic work and social events